Saturday, April 27, 2013

Jelly Roll Baby Quilts

 I found these Jelly Rolls at Joanne Fabrics last week. I decided to try making a baby quilt or two or three with them. If you don't know what a Jelly Roll is, it is a roll of 2.5 inch strips of various patterned fabrics.

I stitched the Jelly Rolls together and washed them.. The backs frayed and knotted together a bit, so spent some time trimming them when they were dry. I also pre-washed the flannel fabric for the quilts and the fabric I wanted to use as a binder.

Next, I spent some time ironing everything. I cut my strips for the binding (2"inch width). I ironed them using a binding strip making tool to help fold them. I stitched the front of the binding on all the quilts. I used binding clips to attach the binding to the backs so I could hand stitch the back binding on and hide the thread. The final step was to tie all the quilts with DMC Floss. Now they are finished and I can put them up for sale or use them as gifts. We'll See which I do.

~Sarah

The finished quilts together.



The Owl Fabric Quilt



Rainbow Quilt (Ashlin doesn't want me to get rid of this. She's into rainbows lately.)


The Blue, Green and Cream Quilt. (I think this is my favorite of the 3.)

No comments:

Post a Comment