Monday, August 5, 2013

Americana Victorian Houses Sampler (not framed)

This was made from a Bucilla kit. It was stitched on White 14 count Aida fabric. It should be Horizontally framed eventually as 15" x 7.75" without a mat or 19" x 11.75" with a mat.

These 3 houses are in a Victorian style that reminds me of the colonial style houses I saw in the southern United States. I was originally thinking of houses in Maine, but having been in Savannah, Georgia a couple years ago...they now remind me more of that area...especially with the fencing.


Each house is full of ornamentation including an American Flag. Each house has a unique wrought iron style fence. Did you know in America the wrought iron fencing was a sign of affluence and wealth. Juliette Gordon Lowe made her own Wrought iron gate and took it with her when her husband divorced her. You can see it at her house in Savannah. This sampler is filled with numerous flowers made from french knots. This is my least favorite of the stitches. My mother will tell you I complain of French knots all the time. My thread gets twisted and knotted sometimes when making them, then I have to rip out a portion of work and redo it. I don't think I have ever done a piece with this many french knots....just look at the flowers, fencing, and shade pulls.

The Backside







Wrought iron fence styles.

Even a flag adorns one of the houses.

So MANY French Knots.

Wrought iron detailed gate and window pulls for the shades.



Hanging plant and lattice work under the porch.

I forgot to add a signature and had to go back and add one yesterday. Not many places to add it.

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment