Friday, July 19, 2013

Turkey Pot Pie


Turkey Pot Pie

One of Ashlin's favorite things for me to make is pot pie. She had to choose a recipe to take to school in 3rd grade and this is what she wanted.  (This and No-Bake cookies.)  I normally make chicken, not turkey, but I had leftover turkey, sooo.... that's what I made.

1. The first step was to gather my supplies: 2 pie plates, leftover gravy and turkey, large family size vegetables of your choice (I often get the corn, carrot, green bean, and corn mix.) , and 2 packages pie crust (or make your own, which I do know how to make, but why make it when you can buy it inexpensively and it is perfectly formed. Besides. I often buy it on sale and stick it in the freezer).


2. Next: Line the pie plates with pie crust.


3. Add a layer of gravy to the crust. My gravy is cold from the fridge, so it is congealed when I add it. This helps prevent a soggy crust.


4. Add 1/2 the vegetables to each pie plate.


5. Add as much turkey (or chicken) as you would like.


 6. Add another layer of gravy. (This will liquify when it is cooked and merge with everything.)


7. You can add salt and pepper, but my gravy has enough. You can also add butter at this stage, but again, the gravy has enough fat without it. So it is time to add the top crust, seal the edges and vent the top.

 8. Bake in the oven at 350' for 35-45 minutes. (The crust should be nicely browned.) This one could be slightly darker, but I plan to freeze one and want to avoid drying it out too much when I cook it again later.


No comments:

Post a Comment