Sunday, July 21, 2013

Cabbage Noodles Recipe

Cabbage Noodles are a specialty item every time we go to Sabad's in Norfolk.  They serve them as an appetizer to every meal. I got the recipe from someone that worked their 15 or more years ago when Shiny still owned the restaurant. They pair nicely with cabbage rolls. I had to make them recently when my Nana visited as Sabad's no longer makes cabbage rolls and they are her favorite.

Cabbage Noodles and Cabbage Rolls with Paprika and Tomato Sauce.






Ingredients:
  • 1 Large Cabbage (or in my case the inside of 2 cabbages...the outside is used for the rolls.)
  • 3 sticks of butter (not margarine)
  • Garlic (powder or fresh....I use fresh if I have it, but powder will work in a pinch)
  • Salt and Pepper (I like lots of fresh ground pepper in mine)
  • 1 large bag medium sized Egg Noodles
Step 1: Take your large cabbage (or the middle of 2 cabbages) and cut them in half. Core them to remove the hard stem. Then finely chop the cabbage and put it in a large pot.




Step 2: Add 3 sticks of butter to the pot. Start cooking it on medium heat stirring it until the butter is melted. Then let it simmer. It should simmer for a minimum of 3 hours.

Step 3: After it cooks down for a while (about an hour), add the garlic, salt and pepper.I love my Garlic Press from Pampered Chef. I add the whole clove of garlic and remove the skin from the press after words.  Nice, quick, and clean and I don't have to worry about my fingers smelling like garlic afterwards. I usually add 3-4 cloves of garlic. It depends on how much garlic you like. I like garlic!  Then add salt and pepper. I use the freshly ground sea salt and pepper as they are so fresh and savory.


Add Salt and Pepper
Step 4: (Optional) I don't like large chunks of cabbage in my noodles, so after about 2 hours of cooking I will use my blending stick and grind up the cabbage a little more.

(Note: The true color are the above photos, but my camera battery died and I switched to my cell phone camera while it charged.)


 Step 5: After about 3 hours, your cabbage should look like this:
Just a little Steamy!!!


I often will let it brown just a little bit more, but I was running out of time and this is an okay consistency....so my impatience said it was ready.

 Step 6: Cook the noodles, drain them and add them to the cabbage!!! Stir it up and let it cook just a bit longer to meld everything together.


  Step 7: Serve and Enjoy!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment